I wrote an article on how to implement a completely client-side search feature on a #Hugo-generated static website. There are bits and pieces of this info floating around but AFAIK no really complete writeups. #lunr #lunrjs
There is probably some parallel universe out there where this thread passes as a hilarious work of fiction. Sadly, in our universe all of this is real. #BlackLivesMatter
I started recording accounts unfollowing me in November last year. One thing became clear however: a very common reason for an unfollow on Twitter is the account being deleted or suspended. I wonder whether that's usual or merely due to so many #infosec people following me...
Going down the memory lane, I cannot find any mentions of the TSR in question - a russification application which I think was called "gamma" (yes, non-English wasn't trivial back in DOS days). I see mentions of Alfa and Beta, so I'd assume Gamma used to be an improved version.
And - yes, I can totally see how this error message can make someone despair. Crazy enough, I actually remember moving TSRs into high memory. 😀
Fun fact about this older rant by Raymond Chen: often you can search for the error message and identify the anonymized guilty party. Yes, I know many of these games at least by name. https://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/9780321440303/samplechapter/Chen_bonus_ch02.pdf
And - yes, I deployed it on a Friday afternoon. Compared to the dangers of going outside, that's nothing right now... 😀
The other option would be building #Hugo myself, so that I can use my own #Goldmark extensions. But that would go too far I think. Yes, I very much prefer applications providing extensibility via interpreted languages, not requiring you to produce a custom build whenever you need a behavior change...
My #Goldmark Markdown parser issues have been closed - last year the author said that he didn't care enough about smart quotes to fix them, now he says that he doesn't want the algorithm to deviate from CommonMark emphasis. Which is a bit ridiculous - the latter is about markup.
Just in case somebody needs to do the same, here is my commit: https://github.com/palant/palant.info/commit/d3dc6899dd1a4a0d9646fc5741c907101cb868ca 6/6
And last but not least, the typographer extension has issues when it comes to smart quotes and punctuation. For me it failed in two cases: Yahoo!'s and "something (whatever)" - had to put the right HTML entity explicitly there. 5/6
Software developer and security researcher, browser extensions expert. He/him
Other Mastodon account for non-technical topics: https://social.tchncs.de/@WPalant
A Mastodon instance for info/cyber security-minded people.